Thursday, March 29, 2012

Headliners

Last week, I talked about our first softball game. Unfortunately, it got rained out so last night was our first official game. Marshall was pumped. He couldn't sit still at work or eat dinner! I, on the other hand, took the nervous approach. I couldn't stop shaking my leg or playing with my hair.

After two weekends of working on my batting skills, I was afraid it wasn't going to show. I kept in mind everything Marshall told me to do and hoped for the best. We put on our jerseys and headed to the field.
Play ball!

Since we were the home team, we were out in the field first. I was playing right field and on the second or third batter, someone hit a pop fly right to me. Marshall always told me to always keep the ball in front of you and never behind. My lack of depth perception kicked in and as soon as I thought I had it, I realized I was too far up. I did the one thing Marshall told me not to do while in the field. I let the ball go over my head and past me. Immediately, my eyes began watering. I had just lost two runs for our team with my error. At the end of the first half of the inning, Marshall came out to me and told me it was okay. My eyes were still watering but I decided there was nothing I could do about it now so I just carried on.

I had gotten into the swing of things by the second inning on the field but I had yet to bad so my nerves were still high. When I finally went up, I swung at the first pitch and hit the ball to shortstop. He grounded it and threw it to first before I could get to base. Even if it was an out, I was so happy my practicing paid off!

At the end of the games [we play two], I actually scored a run! In both games, I either hit the ball or it wasn't a good pitch. I never had a strike! I played right field and catcher with no [major] problems.

Nerves? What are they? I'm back to my 8-year-old badass self!


......sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment